Sunday 23 August 2009

radical shift in bikestyle

My commute is about to change dramatically. We just got back from Cambridge, where we'll be moving in a few weeks, and the biking scene is noticeably different. There's not going to be much in the way of mountain biking, which is a little sad. It sounds like there are some nice country roads that are dirty and muddy and maybe a little scenic, but mostly it's flat flat flat. So time to get a taller gear for the bike.

Maybe more significant is the number of cyclists. So far I've encountered a grand total of zero other bikers on my commute, from the moment I cross the Tay bridge to when I get within a mile or so of St Andrews. Cambridge, by contrast, was a seething mass of people flying around on city bikes. I'm about to become an urban (well, sort of- it's still a small town) cyclist again.

2 comments:

  1. Riding with cars, for all the annoyances, can be pretty fun, and I'll bet you'll find a way to mountain bike a little too. Good luck on the move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, pretty excited for the move, but man I hate actually moving. I think the riding will be fine- it will be nice to be around other bikers so the cars will be more used to the concept of sharing the road. And I guess there are (almost) always options to get onto some trails, some are just more obvious/spectacular than others.

    ReplyDelete